Housing FAQ

more pages

What are the on-campus housing options?


  • Johnson Hall (All classifications)
  • Mabee Living Center (Upperclassmen)


  • Katie Rogers Hall (Freshmen and sophomores)
  • Katie Rogers Courtyard (Upperclassmen)

East and West On-Campus Apartments and Rec Center Apartments:

Available to students who are 20 years and older and have been out of high school for 4 long semesters or two years.

May students have private rooms?

Yes, a limited number of private rooms are available to students.

Do the residence halls have laundry facilities?

Laundry facilities are available in all of our residence halls and apartments.

Are the bed sizes twin or XL twin?

In Johnson Hall, Katie Rogers and the Living Center, the mattresses are XL twin. In the Courtyards they are regular twins.

Who lives on-campus?

All full time, single, undergraduate students who have been out of high school less than four long semesters (two years) are required to live in campus housing. Students may submit a petition to live off campus if they either live with an adult member of their immediate family or have documented medical reasons. Although they may meet requirements to live off campus, many students continue to live on campus in order to have the full advantages of the close community that develops while living in the residence halls.

How do I apply for housing?

After you have been accepted to the university, you can apply for housing. A Housing application will be mailed to you, or you can download the housing application online.

When should I submit my housing application?

As soon as you are accepted you should submit your housing application.

What housing options are available for me as a new student?

Freshman Men: Johnson Hall
Freshman Women: Katie Rogers Hall

How are new students assigned to housing?

Part of the housing application includes a section on living condition preferences (i.e., time going to bed, type of music, hobbies) which is used to match students.

When will I find out where I am assigned and who my roommate(s) will be?

We typically send out room assignments at the beginning of July. When you receive your room assignment, it will include the name and contact information for your roommate(s).

Will my assigned room or roommates change before I arrive?

It is sometimes necessary to make changes to your initial assignment due primarily to people canceling. We will notify you of changes as time permits.

What if I know who I want for a roommate?

If you want to room with someone specific, both people must request each other on the housing application.  Housing applications and deposits should be sent in for both students before July 15th to honor roommate preferences.

Can I be in a room by myself?

A large part of ResLife at LCU is building relationships within the community here. Because of this, we offer a limited number of single rooms. Most residences for new students have rooms with two people per room.

When can I move in?

You will receive orientation packets in the mail about two months before the beginning of the semester. Please look through your packets for the dates and times of move-in.  If you are involved with an athletic team, music group, or other activity that requires early arrival, then you will receive information about your arrival date from your coach, director, or the coordinator of the activity with which you are involved.

What is an RD?

Residence Directors (RD's) are professionally-educated adults who live in the residence halls and provide services for leadership training, counseling, administration, and participation in the personal development of students. They are available to students for friendship, counsel, and help in all areas of college life. RD's are designated to each Residence Hall.

What is an RA?

Resident Assistants (RA's) are upper-class students that serve as a resource and source of information for students.  RA's are chosen based on their desire to serve others and God, as well as their abilities and leadership skills.  RA's are trained to assist in establishing community, resolving conflicts, and maintaining community standards.

Who should my parents contact in case of an emergency?

Depending on the urgency, please contact Security, the Resident Director or the Director of Residential Life. 

How will my living area be cleaned?

Common areas, laundry rooms, and hall kitchens are cleaned by facility services as needed. We do ask that you respect others and clean up after yourselves. If you are assigned to a suite-style room or to an apartment, it is the responsibility of you, your roommate(s), and/or your suitemates to clean the bathrooms and shared living spaces.

What phone/data access is available in the living areas?

Many portions of the campus have wireless capabilities. Each residential room has wired access to the internet. Phones are located in the common areas of Johnson Hall, Katie Rogers and Living Center and each residential room has a phone jack.

What are the laundry facilities like?

Washing machines and dryers are located in each residence hall for your convenience. Change is available upon request from the RD or your RA.

Is there a curfew on campus?

Freshman students are required to be in their residence hall at 1:00AM.

What kinds of appliances can I have?

Each residence hall has vacuum cleaners that are available for you to use.  A full-size kitchen is also located in most residence halls for student usage. You may bring a microwave and refrigerator to use in your room. Please see the ResLife Guide for a complete list.

Can I burn candles in my room?

Because of serious fire danger, open flames (including burning candles, incense, lighted potpourri, etc.) are not permitted.  Therefore, we ask that you leave candles and incense items at home.

May I bring my pet to school?

Because of health sanitation and safety we do not allow pets on campus.

What is LCU's dining plan?

LCU offers four different meal plans:

  • 19 weekly meals with $50 Munch Money
  • 12 weekly meals with $150 Munch Money
  • 10 weekly meals with $175 in Munch Money
  • 4 weekly meals with $75 Munch Money (apartment residents and commuters ONLY)

Munch Money is a declining balance that is purchased along with your meal plan. Munch Money can be used at Take 10 (grill and express station) and at the Koffee Kup.

Is there a snack shop on campus?

Yes, both the Koffee Kup and Take 10 accept Munch Money, cash, checks and
most major credit cards.

  • Take 10: Located in the Mabee Student Life Building (SUB), serves up hot, grilled food along with quick grab & go sandwiches and snacks.
  • The Koffee Kup: A favorite student hangout, it is adjacent to the library where you can enjoy a variety of beverages including lattes, espressos, cappuccinos, teas and cold drinks. They also serve pastries, hot breakfast items as well as hot and cold sandwiches for lunch. 

Where will I receive mail and what address should I use?

Mail is delivered to the post office located in the Mabee Student Life Building (SUB) where each student is assigned a mailbox. The following mailing address should be used:
    Jane Doe
    5601 19th Street LCU Box # (box # assigned during registration)
    Lubbock, TX 79407

Last Updated: Apr 10, 2013