Treatment is available for acute illnesses and injuries as well as maintenance therapy for certain chronic conditions.
Minor procedures, such as ingrown toenail removal, wound suturing, and removal of skin lesions can be done in the office. In conjunction with the patients' allergist, allergy shots can be given.
The clinic is able to offer limited on-site laboratory testing, such as strep, mononucleosis, influenza, and urinalysis. When x-rays or other diagnostic testing is required, the Medical Clinic staff helps coordinate these services for the student. Referrals to specialists can be arranged as needed.
Coordinating Treatment and Services
The Medical Clinic staff works closely with the LCU Counseling Center staff to provide a team approach for those experiencing depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues.
Allergy and Other Injections
- Offered to students Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Students furnish their own allergy serum (or other medication) with schedule and instructions from their physician.
- Student may be required to remain for 15 minutes after their allergy injection.
Safe Travel Tips
If you will be traveling to a foreign country in the coming months, the LCU Medical Clinic will help you prepare for your trip by researching your destination and gathering the information you need to ensure your trip is successful. It is very important to check your immunizaiton history to make certain you are up to date on all routine immunizations.
If possible, make your appointment several weeks or months before your trip. The World Health Organization (WHO) advises travelers, "...to consult a travel medicine clinic or personal physician 4-6 weeks before departure if the travel destination is one where exposure to any vaccine-preventable diseases may occur."
Top 10 Travel Tips:
- Get advice from a Travel Health Professional or your physician.
- Let your body adjust once you arrive.
- Protect yourself from disease-bearing insects.
- Never go barefoot, even on the beach.
- Make sure your water is purified or bottled.
- Consume only well-cooked food.
- Fruit and veggies? Wash it, peel it, or forget about it!
- Pre fill your prescriptions because they might not be available at your destination.
- Don't swim in rivers, lakes and/or streams.
- Choose means of transportation abroad carefully.