The School of Education has a strong field-based component that allows for a variety of opportunities to work with children in the classroom setting. These are designed to give students practical experiences in the classroom beginning with their first education course and culminating with student teaching. The program is recognized by area schools as being extremely well-planned and beneficial to perspective teachers. The experiences include but are not limited to the following:
- Observations in a variety of classroom settings
- Tutoring students who have special needs
- Developing and delivering a one-week unit in an appropriate certification area
- Developing and delivering a two-week unit in an appropriate certification area
- Student Teaching for 12-14 weeks in an appropriate setting
As part of the field-experiences, LCU has developed a special collaborative relationship with several area schools. These Professional Development Schools (PDS) provide university students opportunities to work with their students on their campuses and at times bring their students to LCU for special programs.